To clean your area rug properly you need: vacuum, rubber gloves, rug shampoo, sponge, bucket, soft brush, squeegee and lots of water. When you arm yourself with all these cleaning tools you can start with the project:
- The first step is preparing your area rug for cleaning. This means you need to vacuum the rug thoroughly from both sides, so any dirt will be removed.
- Before add the cleaning solution to the rug, make sure you test it. Apply a small amount from the cleaner to the corner of the rug. This way you can see how the cleaner work and will your rug start loosing its colours. If it doesn't it means the detergent is safe and you can continue to the next step.
- Use a brush or sponge to apply the detergent or shampoo deep into the rug. Let the cleaner stay for a couple of minutes so it can start working.
- The next step is rinsing the area rug. For this purpose, you will need a water, but make sure there are no any soap suds.
- If there is still plenty of water on your area rug, use the squeegee and remove all excess water. Be careful when doing this and make sure you work in the direction of the rug's nap.
- Make sure the area rug is fully dry before place it again on the floor of your home. Once the rug is dry on the top side, flip it over and let it dry the other side as well.
With regular maintaining, your floor rugs will serve your home for many years. Make sure you keep them clean, so you can enjoy their beautify for a long time.